Monday 26 November 2007

Patching up cracks

As mentioned before the house has many openings which allows both wasps and wind to enter the house. Most of the problem seems to be caused by shrinkage in the wall's mortar mix. According to my study on the subject, either clay or water content was too high. Some of the shrinkage is up to 2cm.



This photo shows the sky seen through the gaps in the wall from the inside.

I bought some sand at a local DIY shop, and mixed it with the soil sample I took from the forest earlier. Than I added some straw from my September weed-battle.

Sand:



Soil with high clay content:



Mixed together:



I added the straw from the back to make it stickier.

As the mixture was ready, I deployed it in the North Eastern bed room to seal the cracks. With a small trowel, I pushed and pressed the mix into the gaps, smoothing it at the end.



Its not pretty at this stage, but it does the job, and later on a beautiful surface layer will be apllied over this rough layer anyway.

No comments: