Wednesday 24 September 2008

Putting the kitchen to use

I had a bunch of business to sort out in Arisaka, but one main objective was to unpack all the shiny new kitchen gear that was delivered this weekend. As a hobby cook I enjoyed buying al my dream gear, but of course I am sad I cannot have such nice equipment in my Tokyo home (its too small).

Most of the gear unpacked, washed and ready to cook:

From 20070915


I could not resist the temptation and invited the Yanagisawa family over for lunch. On the menu - Spaghetti Bolognese (admittedly a simple meal but tasty nevertheless).

From 20070915


Good food is a function of the chef's ability, and the quality of the ingredients. Fortunately thanks to the wonderful fruit and vegetables available in the village the taste was exquisite!

Fresh freeland organic Tomatoes harvested (probably) the same day:

From 20070915


From 20070915


Big Pots! Can cook for many people!

From 20070915


My idea of good bolognese is that its not like making a sauce, but more like cooking a jam. The more time available the better, so cooking tomatoes and meat for 1-2 hours would be perfect. However, we were starving, so opted for about 20 minutes - enough to evaporate a bit of the wine (purchased in the small liquor store in Tateiwa).

I was very please - my guests all had seconds, and there was nothing leftover!

From 20070915

No comments: