Wednesday 24 September 2008

Visiting Arisaka House by Bicycle

After the Taifun passed, at last a sunny was forecasted, and I was keen to ride my bike. So I rode down to Ueno station, packed the bike into the obligatory "bike-bag", and took the Asama shinkansen to Ueda.

From 20070915


Patrick of Team Gerolsteiner - ready to roll!

From 20070915


The route was pretty straight forward. However, instead of the busy 141 for the initial traverse to the east, I stayed near the river to avoid traffic. It was really easy to navigate and the ascent was extremely slow and easy. From Maruko onwards, the road was not in good condition - on my racing bike I could feel every single pock mark and imperfection on the surface.





Although initially overcast, the weather turned out really pleasant and sunny around lunch time.

From 20070915


Cosmos was blooming all over the place, contrasting wonderfully with the rice, whose still wet heads hang down heavily, with harvest only days away.

From 20070915


From 20070915


From 20070915


Finally the house.

From 20070915


Despite the slight uphill route and a head wind for the initial escape from Ueda, I reached the house only 35 minutes and 17 km later. I am looking forward to spend a long weekend here with my cycling buddy. Using the house as a base, we can explore the mountain passes to the south, west, and east and return to a pleasant house with peace and quite for recovery.

WARNING: Country roads are not well lit at night - if at all. If you travel after sunset, please ensure you have plenty of lighting (front and back)+ reflectors, so that cars can see you, and maybe even take an extra flood light to see the road in front of you. I put on a Climber's headlight on my forehead, and that worked pretty well. While cycling during daytime, there are many alternative routes that may be more scenic. In any case, I STRONGLY advise to stay on the route described here after dark, in the interest of your safety !!

No comments: